Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Vermack Village in the Desert?

Over in District 2 there is a desert.  This desert serves many purposes environmentally, politically and socially.  On the social side, the desert separates the Strawberry Festival kids of Village Mill from the aquatically gifted Vikings of Vermack.  Many brave youngsters have tried to shortcut it from the Village Mill tennis courts to the Vermack pool, never to be heard from again.  

In regards to the environment, the desert serves many purposes.  The openness allows for many to get their 'shine on.  Haymitch Abernathy (along with his sidekick GRB) is said to hang out here a good bit, until Katniss tracks him down.  The stream flowing through the property is not on par with the likes of the Chattahoochee River or the Vernon North Canal, but it is a stream, according to the Government.  




Politically the desert is high ground for the District 2 fringe movement.  President Snow is reportedly considering beefed up patrols in District 2, the masonry resource for the city.

But the desert and its surroundings are in for a change.  

President Snow is in negotiations with local leaders for 52 new homes to be built in the newly-named community of Vermack Village.  Key negotiating points are said to center around swim team recruitment, DJ Vermack's alleged retirement, the chimney at the PCID Starbucks, and a proposed underground tunnel to the BP gas station across from Dunkin Donuts.  DunwoodyTalk has already secured the timber rights to the property, thus again cornering the market on its newly trademarked DunWOODy line of clocks, bicycles, and baseball bats.

A major concern for the city is that any proposed action at this location may trigger a meeting of the famed Community Council, must see TV for sure.  Stay tuned as the property owners will need to overcome hurdles of a 25 75 foot stream buffer, bike lanes, Red Shirts, Green Shirts, and Dirty Shirts.  This proposed 52 home neighborhood ends speculation that the Brook Run Dog Park was acquiring the property for $5 million.  By the way, would Dunwoody taxpayers support a bond to buy the property, for a park, for $5 million?


area in red is flood zone




These 52 new homes are reportedly to be in the $750,000 + range, so a different market than the new homes being built in Georgetown.  Hopefully local Government and unorganized protest groups won't get in the way of this new project.

4 comments:

GaryRayBetz said...

Well Rick, it's my understanding that most folks who read your blog either think you don't make sense or have no sense; however, I think I'll defer to Stanley Kubrick to express my take on your efforts -

"It has always seemed to me that really artistic, truthful ambiguity - if we can use such a paradoxical phrase - is the most perfect form of expression. Nobody likes to be told anything. Take Dostoyevsky. It's awfully difficult to say what he felt about any of his characters. I would say ambiguity is the end product of avoiding superficial, pat truths."

- Stanley Kubrick

Listen, I’ll make a deal with you, you may include my initials in your posts, in fact my full name if you are so inclined, but please ensure its appearance is perceived as inscrutable as the rest of your text, but just don't ever, and I mean ever, interfere with my drinking - and I'm sure you do know that the second stipulation goes for my pal Haymitch as well.

Joe Seconder said...

I'd like to see:

1) a traffic study completed,
2) Build internal grid road network (instead of dead-end cul-de-sacs), connecting from Vermack up to Ole Village Run (need easement). at least for bike/pedestrian connectivity with an 10-ft paved path connecting into Old Village Run. – Would require an easement from adjacent property owners (Roy Eugene Poss at 4809 Vermack)

3) Provide a public easement for the West Nancy Creek tributary. Create a greenspace buffer in the easement with nature walking trails open to the public.

4) Incorporate other "Sustainable" Development features, including water management, pervious surfaces, gray water recycling, etc..

5) Or, come up with funds to buy the land and keep as a nature preserve. Presently, the land is assessed at $480,000.... But obviously worth a lot more...

Daughter of the Poet said...

Porcupine at Dusk

Out of the bunch grass
out of the cheat grass
a bunch of grass waddles
my way.

Quill-tips bleached by winter four
inches down: crown of glory dark
at the roots: a halo
catching the sun's
final song:

No way could such steady
oblivion possibly live
up to legend, whatever
fear I might have had
is gone, but still I stop

Short on my after-dinner walk, no
collision course if I
can help it, thinking
at first it's the wind,
nudging a path out of the field

Or one of a covey of tumbleweed
lost like those today on the freeway,
racing ahead of my car that whole long drive
here to the banks of the Snake, to friends
so close they know
when to leave me alone.

As though I were nowhere around, the porcupine
shuffles the edge of the road,
in five minutes crosses
a distance I could have covered
in less than one

And disappears at last into cattails
and rushes, sunset, a vespers
of waterbirds, leaving me
still unwilling to move.

I am a sucker for scenes like this.
The slowest beauty can rush me.
And here I am,
all of my defenses down.

- Ingrid Wendt

Anonymous said...

Here come all the consultants out of the woodwork to tell a private developer what it should do with private land being purchased from a private owner using private funds.