With Dunwoody being a sleepy bedroom community to the north and a vibrant commercial district to the southwest, I've had plenty of time to try out some different eating places lately. Today's adventure was Alon's Bakery and Market, located across from Perimeter Mall off Ashford Dunwoody Road.
The occasion was meeting Alon and some of his staff, having a cold beer (yes, they have Hoegaarden), and trying Alon's new signature pizzas. Pizza? Yes. Many of you know Alon's for the great baked goods, salads, and sandwiches, but did you know Alon built a wood-burning pizza oven?
|Alon, pizza oven guy, me (Don't knock the Pirates shirt. it's nearly June and the Buccos are only 4.5 back of the Cardinals)|
My favorite sampled pizza was the Taleggio ( Taleggio, fresh mozzarella, fig balsamic, truffled honey, Marcona almond. I also liked the Margherita with crushed tomato, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, basil oil pizza. The Four cheese (Pecorino, fresh mozzarella, ricotta, gorgonzola) with lemon oil, shaved fennel and fresh oregano was also a hit.
“When we decided to put a pizza oven in our Dunwoody store, I had to go to Italy, the birthplace of pizza, for research,” says Alon Balshan, owner of Alon’s Bakery & Market. “After coming back to Atlanta and perfecting our pizza over the past few months, we are very proud of the results,” he adds.
The pizza menu will feature the following options on a daily basis:
· Pecorino, potato, Gorgonzola, garlic, arugula, bresaola ($18)
· Margherita with crushed tomato, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, basil oil ($14)
· Crushed tomato, eggplant, olives, hot oil, fresh mozzarella ($15)
· Assorted mushrooms, thyme, garlic, white sauce, Gruyere cheese, fresh mozzarella ($17)
· Basil pesto, grilled chicken, pine nuts, fresh mozzarella ($17)
· Crushed tomato, hot oil, Italian tuna in olive oil, roasted peppers, onions, Pecorino, fresh mozzarella ($17)
· Crushed tomato, house-made spicy Merguez sausage, roasted peppers, caramelized onion, fresh mozzarella ($19)
· Four cheese (Pecorino, fresh mozzarella, ricotta, gorgonzola) with lemon oil, shaved fennel and fresh oregano ($16)
· White sauce, lemon sauces, crushed tomato, marinated anchovies, fried capers, fire roasted pepper, fresh mozzarella ($19)
· Taleggio, fresh mozzarella, fig balsamic, truffled honey, Marcona almonds ($16)
This is not Mellow Mushroom or Gallo's, and probably not the place to take the 10 & Under soccer team after a game (unless you are seeking desserts). The 'Mellow', Johnny's, and Gallo's are great choices for a traditional pizza pie, but when you seek a place for a specialty pizza, glass of wine, and a delicious dessert with someone special, Alon's is the place. Just a five minute drive from nearly all of Dunwoody, Alon's is a place for you to add to the rotation.
This weekend I'll be preparing some picnic specials, firing up my Medina River deep fryer and the new STOK grill. Send me an email if interested in helping me drain a mini keg of Hoegaarden this weekend.
Next week I'll visit a nearby