Good evening fellow citizens ... some quick items of interest ...
1. Climb the Manhattan Tower ... This Saturday morning our Dunwoody Firemen spear headed by Patrick Lindstrom of Station 21 will climbing the stairs of the 26th floor Manhattan Towers .. located at 4561 Olde Perimeter Way, in Dunwoody. This is the condo building located close to the Target in the Perimeter Mall area. I will be in the first group of climbers with our fireman (they are going to climb in full gear .... I will be in shorts, T-shirt and running shoes ... what a wimp!!) and we are meeting at 8 AM. A group of climbers will leave every few minutes until everyone has made the climb. This is to honor the 343 firefighters and 60 policeman who lost their lives heroically on 9/11/2001. You can register to join the climb at www.gfbf.org ... then go to Dunwoody Manhattan Memorial Climb. Registration fee is only $25 (it is tax deductible) and all proceeds go to the Georgia Firefighters Burn Foundation. If you register on line you will get a T-shirt. If it is a last minute decision for you come on over and ... the ladies of the DWC ( I know one of them personally) will get you registered.
2. Paving. The paving is proceeding well with only a couple of equipment and weather delays. Roberts Dr will be paved from Chamblee Dunwoody Rd north to the Sandy Springs city line. Depending on weather, etc we should start the paving process here approx. 15 - 19 SEP. It will take approx. 10 day for completion ... again depending on weather, etc. The plan is to start work at 8 AM and shut it down at 2 PM daily. There will be lane closures, etc. during this period, thus I highly recommend you avoid Roberts Dr during the paving. I also highly recommend Austin School students walk to school to the max extent possible during this period. It will be beautiful when finished. A by-product of this paving will be a 3 - 5' bike lane on both sides of Roberts .... this will add a much needed safety factor for our children who are walking and riding their bikes to Austin School. Also provide a bike lane for those adults that just want to go for a bike ride. Remember paving roads REQUIRES patience from all of us!!
3. Sidewalks .... Although we do not yet have a timeline there will be about 70' of sidewalk, just passed Fire Station 12 on the way to Austin School, replaced. For those of you that walk to school you know this area .... which is badly broken up. This will be another safety enhancement for our children walking/riding their bikes to school.
4. Walk to School Day ... Today was the first "Walk to School Day" of the year. To me this is a win/win situation and I would like ever day to be a "Walk to School Day." At Austin we had 460 of the 650 children walk to school today ... and that was in a light drizzling rain. My thanks to the Austin School facility, the parent organizers and all of you parents and children who participated. I and Chief Grogan walked with the group from Mellow Mushroom .... and from what I saw the children really like walking to school. I hope everyone will try to make this a daily routine .... just think parents, you can get your exercise in by 8 AM.
5. Stage Door Players .... One of the real assets in our city is the Stage Door Players ... this is the arts right here in our midst. Great entertainment at a very reasonable price ..... and you can see the stage up close as there is not a bad seat in the house. I don't own any stock nor am I an actor in the Stage Door Players..... but I highly encourage you to support the Stage Door Players as we need to keep this asset alive and well in Dunwoody. Buy season tickets, buy a package or just go to some single shows .... I think you will be impressed with the quality.
That is all for tonight. Please pass this on to your friends, neighbors, members of your HOA or anyone you think maybe interested. If anyone wants to be added to my email list just let me. Again, thanks for you great positive support of our City ..
Let Us Continue To Build Our City Together
Denny ShortalDunwoody City Council, District One, Post-1 Mayor Pro Tem firstname.lastname@example.org