Friday, February 11, 2011

City Address by Mayor Wright


Last night I attended the 2nd Annual State of the City Address, held at the Crowne Plaza at Ravinia Hotel in Dunwoody.  The Rotary Club of Dunwoody presented the event and did a wonderful job.

The event was well attended, for sure a Who's Who of Dunwoody and DeKalb.  All the famous FarmHousers were there, as well as all the local media.  I saw the Dunwoody Crier, Dunwoody Reporter, Dunwoody patch, Dunwoody Neighbor, CBS Atlanta, and others.  DeKalb officials came out as well.  CEO Ellis (I asked him if he brought the $7 million with him and he said no), a couple of DeKalb commissioners including Larry Johnson and Kathie Gannon, the DeKalb fire chief, a few judges, and other public servants.  Local celebrities like Farmer Bob, Don & wife, Al, Police Groupie Ms. B., GardenGirl P, SignGuy, Chamber folks, and many more. Most of the city staff was in attendance as well.  if you did not make it this year, make sure to come next year.

Cash bar but no Hoegaarden.  City staff assured me they'd have it next time. 

Kathleen Kerns, a student at GPC, sang the National Anthem well.  And State Rep Tom Taylor nailed it when he led us saying the Pledge of Allegiance. Prior to remarks by the mayor we heard from GA Perimeter College president Anthony Tricoli.  He  spoke on the great benefits and growth of GPC.  He also emphasized the success of GPC students.  Although his speech was a little heavy on details of GPC itself I was glad he spoke a lot about the students themselves. GPC exists to train and prepare people in various skills, and Tricoli properly noted this in his remarks.

The mayor is a down-to-earth guy.  Nothing fancy, just honest dedication to our city.  I don't agree with him 100% of the time (chickens was the last time we disagreed), but I think he has done a great job this term. 

I read online at The Reporter site that the mayor's address lasted over an hour.  I have to admit I bailed after about 20 minutes so I could watch a rerun of Swamp People on the History Channel.

In summary, the sponsors were generous, the event was nice, the hotel was excellent, and the people were smart.

No comments: